Coconut is my favorite. I like to eat it, drink it, smell it—you name it. And when it’s combined with red curry and cilantro, something very tasty happens. I’m sure you’ll agree.
Single Serving | Vegan (w/options), Gluten-Free
Prep time: 20 min | Cook and serve time: 10 min
1/2 cup rice, uncooked
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 inch piece fresh ginger root, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 to 2 tablespoons red curry paste (depending on desired heat)
1/4 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 chicken breast (vegetarian option: 4 ounces extra-firm tofu)
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Whisk together the coconut milk, lime juice, ginger, garlic, red curry paste, and salt. (You can also mix in a blender.)
- Prepare the bell pepper and carrot.
- FOR CHICKEN: Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- FOR TOFU: Press excess water out of tofu using paper towels or a clean cloth, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
Cook and Serve:
- Heat rice.
- Coat wok or large skillet with cooking spray and set to medium heat.
- FOR CHICKEN: Add to wok or skillet, turning pieces until chicken is no longer raw on the outside, about 1 minute. Add bell pepper and carrot. Cook, stirring constantly until the vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink on the inside, about 5 minutes. Add rice to serving bowl and top with chicken and veggies.
- FOR TOFU: Start by adding bell pepper and carrot to wok or skillet. Cook, stirring constantly until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add rice to serving bowl, then pour veggies on top. Add tofu to wok or skillet, turning pieces until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add to bowl with veggies.
- Pour the coconut-curry sauce into the warm skillet, stirring until heated through, about 15 seconds. NOTE: Be sure skillet is no longer over stove heat. It should still be hot enough to heat the sauce, but if the skillet is over a hot burner, the sauce will scorch.
Pour sauce over veggies and tofu/chicken, then garnish with cilantro.