I’ve been very into spring pastas the last few weeks, mostly because I’ve discovered some gluten-free pastas that are so, so good. Sometimes gluten-free noodles can be really mealy and stick to each other like glue, but with Bionaturae and Jovial, you’d never know anything was “missing.”
I nixed gluten a couple of years ago because I kept hearing that it helped with migraines and headaches, which were a regular part of my life. And while it’s definitely not for everyone, going gluten-free has been life-changing for me. I lost about ten pounds, as well as a hazy veil hanging over my eyes that I never even knew existed until it was gone. So pasta was out for a while, but ever since I discovered gluten-free noodles that actually taste normal, I’ve been a pasta recipe-creating machine. This post is the latest and greatest.
Linguine with Asparagus
Prep time: 10 min | Cook and serve time: 15 min | Ready in: 25 min
Yields: 1 serving of pasta
1 small chicken breast
10-15 asparagus spears
1 serving linguine noodles
2 teaspoons butter (vegan option: non-dairy “butter”)
1 small shallot
3 garlic cloves
1/3 cup vegetable or chicken broth
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (or cashew cream)
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Snap the ends off asparagus spears and chop into 1-inch pieces.
- Slice chicken into thin strips.
- Slice shallot into thin pieces.
- Prepare parsley.
Cook and serve:
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add linguine noodles and cook until al dente, 6 to 9 minutes. Drain well.
- Cut garlic into thin slices.
- In a small skillet, melt butter on medium heat. Add garlic and chicken, cooking until garlic starts to brown and chicken is no longer raw on the outside (flip pieces to cook evenly), 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add asparagus to pan, stirring and cooking until slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the broth into the skillet and bring to a low boil—allow to cook for another minute or two. Remove from heat then stir in yogurt/cashew cream. Pour into an individual serving bowl.
- Stir in parsley and noodles, and then sprinkle with cheese (optional).
- Season with pepper.