This is my version of a fruit crisp without all the flour and without all the baking (but with a creamy sweet ginger kick). Toasting the oats in a skillet gives it that baked taste in just minutes rather than the better part of an hour. And even though I created this for desserting purposes, it would actually make a really healthy breakfast.
Okay, get to it!
Strawberry-Rhubarb Oat Bowl
Single Serving, Dessert | Vegan, Gluten-Free
Prep time: 5 min | Cook time: 10 min
1 stalk rhubarb
3 tablespoons cashew cream (or Greek yogurt)
3-4 tablespoons non-dairy milk
1/4-inch slice ginger
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon non-dairy butter
1. Mince ginger.
2. In a small bowl, stir together cashew cream with half of maple syrup, ginger, and non-dairy milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it’s still thick(ish), but pours easily from the bowl.
3. Slice rhubarb and strawberries.
Cook and serve:
1. Melt half of non-dairy butter in a small skillet on medium heat. Add rhubarb and cook until slightly soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside.
2. Melt remaining non-dairy butter in skillet, then add oats. Stir oats constantly until some pieces start to get golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. In a serving bowl, stir together rhubarb, strawberries, oats, and cashew cream.
4. Drizzle remaining maple syrup over the top and enjoy!