I’ll be honest, these were a little tricky to cook because they had to be constantly coaxed with a spatula to get them to hold together. But in the end, I was able to plate them pretty much intact, and they were far too delicious not to share. The quinoa makes them crisp up nicely—better than ones I’ve previously made with rice—and they’re packed with flavor. If you have time, I think these would be especially great drizzled with the dressing from this salad. And just remember, be a little patient with them—prod them along gently and they will not disappoint. 🙂
Black Bean Quinoa Cakes
Prep time: 30 min | Cook and serve time: 20 min
Serves 3 or 4
1 14-ounce can black beans
1/4 cup quinoa
2-inch slice of red onion
1/2 red bell pepper
1/4 cup almond flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic
3 tablespoons taco/Mexican seasoning
1. Bring a 1/2 cup of water to a boil, add quinoa (check out some health benefits of quinoa), and reduce heat to low. Cover and allow to cook until all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
2. Mince red bell pepper, garlic, and onion. (Be sure to cut everything as small as possible. This will help in keeping the patties intact. If you have a food processor, that would probably be your best bet.)
3. In a large mixing bowl, mash black beans (rinsed and drained) using a pastry cutter or a fork. Add all other ingredients and mix well. If you don’t plan to freeze these, skip to “cook and serve” steps.
Cook and serve:
1. Pour 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a small skillet on medium heat. Cook patties until the outsides start to get crispy and are heated through 2 to 3 minutes per side.
2. Serve with a side salad and garnish with chopped avocado and cilantro.