I honestly didn’t know what to call this recipe, so I went the super literal route. Because it basically is a pile of Mexican flavors that will most definitely make you go, Yumm. I inhaled this. Pretty sure you will too. The recipe serves two, but ingredients can easily be divided in half and eaten two nights in a row for a cook once, eat twice-style recipe.
Mexican Yum Stack
Two Servings | Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free
Prep time: 30 min (plus 30 min for quinoa to chill) | Cook and serve time: 15 min
1/2 cup quinoa
1 dried ancho chile
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 red onion, divided in half
1/3 cup cashews
1 clove garlic
1 red bell pepper
2 teaspoons oil
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. In a small saucepan bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Pour in quinoa, then reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, covered. Put cooked quinoa in a covered dish and refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes.
2. In a blender, process the tomatillos, ancho chile, salt, half of the red onion amount, the cashews, and garlic until smooth. Set aside.
3. Slice remaining red onion and bell pepper into thin strips.
Cook and serve:
1. Beat one of the eggs in a small bowl and stir in cooled quinoa.
2. Pour 1 teaspoon of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add red peppers and onions and cook until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Form quinoa-egg mixture into two patties. (The patties will be very “wet,” but will firm up when they start to cook. You can shape the patty further with the spatula once you place it in the skillet.)
4. In a medium skillet on medium heat, cook patties until browned, about 3 minutes on each side.
5. Fry remaining two eggs in a medium skillet over medium heat.
6. While eggs are frying, assemble the stacks. Follow steps below on two plates…
Spread about 1/4 of a cup of tomatillo sauce on the bottom:Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro:
Place red pepper and onion mixture on top of sauce and cilantro:
Place a quinoa patty on top of peppers, and spoon a dollop of tomatillo sauce on top:
Place the egg on top of quinoa patty:
Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste: