I made this recipe originally for the “Mocha Valencia” version of the Starbucks-Inspired Coffeemallows I posted a few weeks ago, but that was really only half of the deliciousness that resulted. This is like a two for one recipe, because you get candied orange zest out of it, as well as a delicious Valencia syrup.
Use it to sweeten teas, cocktails, breakfast yogurt bowls, and more!
And that candied zest can be eaten on its own, dipped in melted chocolate for a souped up treat, or even used to top cupcakes, muffins, and quick breads.
Candied Orange Zest and Valencia Syrup
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 40 min | Ready in: 13 hours
2-1/4 cups sugar
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove zest from the oranges.
- Cut into thin strips.
- Place strips into a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand 30 minutes, then drain.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring 2 cups of sugar and one cup of water to a boil. Cook until sugar is dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, then add zest strips. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let it sit overnight.
- Use a strainer to separate the zest strips and the syrup.
- In a bowl, sprinkle zest with the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar.