This is the first time I’ve made this soup, and it is GOOOOD. It’s Thai-inspired, with red curry and coconut milk—one of my favorite savory pairings ever—and I blended cauliflower with everything for a thick, creamy, and hearty result.
Garnishing it with a healthy dose of sautéed red bell peppers and red onions gets even more veggies in there, for a full meal deal.
This is definitely one of those soups that doesn’t need a side to make it a meal. It is a meal. Ladle up a bowl for dinner. Period. Done.
Coconut Curry Soup
Four Servings | Vegan
Prep time: 30 min | Cook and serve time: 30 min | Ready in: 1 hour
3 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
1/2 of a cauliflower
1 red onion
1 red bell pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 to 3 teaspoon red curry paste
2 cups vegetable stock
1 can coconut milk
1 cup cashews
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Soak cashews in water for 30 minutes.
- While cashews are soaking, chop cauliflower into 1 to 2-inch florets. (You’ll want these to amount to about 2 cups.)
- Slice red onion and chop red bell pepper.
- Mince garlic and ginger.
- Slice jalepeno.
Cook and Serve:
- Pour 1 teaspoon of oil into a large sauce pan on medium heat, then cook garlic and ginger until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Add cauliflower, reduce heat, and continue cooking at a simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spoon cauliflower into a blender, pour in stock, and add drained cashews. Process until smooth.
- Return to saucepan and stir in coconut milk and red curry. Continue heating until warmed through. NOTE: I suggest adding red curry one teaspoon at a time and testing for heat as you go to make sure you don’t set your mouth on fire. Also, spoon out about 1/4 cup soup into a small bowl and stir the curry into it each time. That way, when you pour it in the soup in blends easier.
- Stir in salt, if needed. (Some stocks are saltier than others, so you may or may not already have a good amount—taste test it out.)
- Pour remaining oil into a large skillet and add red peppers and onion. Cook until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve soup garnished with red peppers, onions, cilantro, and slices of jalapeno.
More vegan soup favorites: